Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Practical Advice on Basic Kitchen Equipment




This is a list of essential items that I learned about the hard way. Not all of them are absolutely essential as everything will highly depend on what your needs are, but most are highly useful for everyone, so you might want to consider them, and avoid the trap of turning your kitchen into a graveyard of useless appliances. Admittedly, some of the stuff is a tad pricey compared to the alternatives; however, when you consider how much you'll pay in inconvenience, frustration, and replacements, you'll be glad you paid for quality the first time around. I'll include links to the ones I have. They're by no means the only options, but they're what I've found to work.


1. Silicone Coated Mixing Spoons and Spatulas

The first thing I will say about this is that wooden mixing spoons are disgusting. I am not a psychotic clean freak, but the reality is particles of food do get embedded in the grain of the wood and the wood absorbs soap, which is why you're supposed to boil them to clean them. Not only is this form of cleaning highly inconvenient, but they have a tendency to split, break, get sort of chewed up, and burn. The silicone ones do not. I ignored the proper care myself for a long time, and one day I finally boiled the spoons...it was horrific. Also, it's a good idea to get the silicone spatulas as well, but the ones that are mostly one solid piece because the head will come off of the other ones eventually, which is both annoying, and will also trap water and food.



2. Good Quality Knives

There's nothing that beaten a good set of knives. Generally, only really need a chef's knife, a paring knife, and maybe a bread knife. You do have to be careful with them because you don't want any nicks in the blade, and you will have to hone them on occasion, but a good set will practically cut through a tomato from just having the blade rest on it. Wusthof is a good choice for the less expensive, high quality knives.



3. Fine Grater

If you happen to use freshly grated parmesan, cinnamon, or nutmeg on a somewhat regular basis, this little tool is a lifesaver. There is nothing worse than having to grate nutmeg on a cheese grater wondering whether you'll escape the kitchen without chunks missing for you knuckles...again.



4. Silicone Muffin/Cake Pans

Just like with the spoons, they're easier to clean, and the contents is less likely to stick.



5. High Quality Apple Corer

I know it may sound kind of silly, but I eat a lot of apples, so this little gadget saves me a lot of time and effort. So far, I haven't found a good quality one other than the one I have linked below. Most of the ones you'll find are very thin and flimsy, causing the metal to twist and bend (and eventually break) as you twist it through the apple. So, if this is something that you would find useful, I wouldn't get anything else.



6. Food Processor.

A good food processor makes a world of difference in the kitchen. They can shred, chop, slice, puree, mince, etc., which means that you can actually make hummus that's not incredibly grainy, or whip together hash browns without having to shred potatoes for forever, and the list goes on. I had originally bought a mini Black and Decker food processor, and it was essentially useless beyond mincing garlic because it could hardly hold anything, and the engine wasn't powerful enough to the the job. The is one of those major purchases I talked about, but makes a world of difference.



7. Stand Mixer with a Dough Hook

This is a must if have heavy work to do and/or very little time. I make bread regularly, and I have yet to be able to get the dough to the best consistency by hand, while a mixer with a dough hook does it in about 2 minutes with relatively little effort on my part, and very little cleanup.




2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the microplane! I don't know what I'd do without mine. My other essentials are a citrus reamer, which I use at least five times a week, my All Clad large saute pan and my Le Creuset cookware. I actually have too much of that (mainly due to my desire for new pretty colors) but really use the 5 qt and 7 qt dutch ovens all the time.
    Not givin' up my olive wood spoons though.. ;-) -A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for mentioning the dutch oven. After I posted this, I realized that I had accidentally left it off...and possibly the cast iron skillet.

      Delete